Mumbai has one of the world's largest collection of Art Deco buildings. Our initiative is to showcase, document and research Mumbai's UNESCO inscribed collection and their unique architecture. We advocate its conservation. Our work environment is relaxed and full of exciting initiatives. It is also demanding, rigorous with clear deliverables by each team member. All our positions require you to be a team player with excellent work ethic and strong writing and speaking skills. We are self funded and Not for Profit. We are an equal opportunity employer.
What we expect from you:
- Catalogue and store digital assets in accordance with international best practices
- Research history of Mumbai’s Deco, its architects, buildings, origins, urban form across the city exploring social, cultural and urban narratives both historical and contemporary
- Access libraries (public/private), archives and online resources.
- Support the ADMT team with research inputs.
- A Degree in any of the following – Library Science, Archival studies, Architecture, History, Literature, Sociology, Journalism or Mass Communication
- Experience with digital assets and archiving
- Research experience in libraries, archives, bookstores, and online resources
- Knowledge of Mumbai city structures and interest in urban built form
- Strong communication and writing skills
As a part of the core team, you will be leading initiatives for conservation, research and outreach working closely with the Trustees to achieve objectives of Art Deco Mumbai Trust (ADMT).
What we expect from you:
- Lead ADMT’s conservation and research initiatives which include repair and restoration projects.
- Assist on-going projects in research and documentation (recce’s, on-site photo documentation, mapping).
- Lead outreach programs, including hosting of heritage walks, organising public lectures and virtual events, workshops, merchandising, etc.
Your Interests and Qualifications can help:
Person applying should ideally have:
- A Master’s degree in Urban Conservation, Heritage Management or Architecture, OR a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture with at least 2 years of work experience in Heritage Conservation.
- Knowledge of Art Deco style of architecture especially in the context of Mumbai’s evolution as a city, its city structures, urban form and design.
- Ability to articulate & communicate ideas with strong writing skills.
- Working knowledge of WordPress and Content Management Systems would be helpful.
This is a full-time position in Mumbai, starting immediately. The position will be work from home till it is safe to resume.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Head – Conservation and Outreach in the subject line. Enclose a copy of your portfolio and a writing sample of minimum 1000 words. All attachments not to exceed 2 MB.
Art Deco Mumbai Trust is offering internships to students of Architecture (to meet the requirements for practical experience as part of the Bachelor of Architecture course).
Interns will acquire a comprehensive understanding and appreciation of Art Deco architecture and its significance within the urban landscape, conservation of modern living heritage and research methodologies under the guidance of a COA registered architect.
- Students of 4th & 5th year B. Arch.
- Good AutoCAD and Photoshop skills
- Experience in mapping & documentation of structures
- Academic interest in exploring and understanding modern heritage
- Research and field survey of Art Deco buildings in identified neighbourhoods
- Identify character defining features, photo-document and research the buildings using primary and secondary sources
- Compilation of documentation panels
- Measured drawings of architectural details
- Oral history of local residents
- Assist with events and outreach activities
Positions are based in Mumbai, and will be for a duration of 3 to 4 months, with a stipend.
Please email your resume and portfolio with relevant work to email@example.com with Architectural Internship 2022 in the subject line. All attachments not to exceed 2 MB.